TV Packs only

Robert C. Cooper leaving Stargate

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » TV-News » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#136942] Written by: CthulhuSaves [21/06/2010, 23:10]
ok, let's be fair on the "it's not stargate anymore" issue. from a certain perspective, they're quite right, it's not. what
we've got here ("is a failure to communicate!" --sorry, i couldn't pass up a cool hand luke reference) is a long-running
franachise that's been, oh, let's say piers anthony for fifteen years, and suddenly decided to give the arthur c. clarke
style a try. on one hand, this is very daring and admirable. i'm always for more realism and hard science where
possible. but, on the other hand, for many long-term fans, one can't overlook that the change is going to be unsettling at
best, jarring at worst.

dunno if others feel the same about this, or have even given it any thought, but i've always looked at stargate stuff (all
inclusive, except for sg:u) as pulpish, serialized science fantasy, no different than the stuff they used to show
episodically in theaters every saturday before the main flick (the phantom, tarzan, buck rogers, the shadow, etc),
differentiated only by a more modern budget and props. heck, half the time you could see the cast giggling or rolling
their eyes at the silliness of some things they were having to keep a straight face over. and sure, that's a lot of fun.
sg:u, on the other hand, reminds me more of a space opera-ish sci-fi novel put to screen, and i really hope they don't
lose that. definitely needs a little bit of polish on the writing and character development (after all, it's not a lot of fun if
we can't find any characters worth liking, or that we can relate to), but there's hope for that. as long as they don't
backslide and fall into old habits, i think time will heal the divisions in the fandom.

maybe it is a good thing , let some fresh blood to the show

oh, my. i looked at that line and initially misread it. thought it said, "let some fresh blood flow." what's even funnier is
that my first thought was, "ah, good. a fellow republican!"

tee hee hee. i slay me.

lol

[#137075] Written by: Blackstar [23/06/2010, 15:38]
Quote by digifluid
Quote by blackstar
i think the harshness of the response comes from the view that
this series simply isn't
really part of the stargate universe. frankly it feels like it belongs more in the bsg universe.
fans of sg-1
and atlantis had a certain expectation from the franchise, and sgu just isn't delivering on that.
add the fact that atlantis was axed to make way for this and it's a miracle it's generated the
ratings it has, which i can only assume come mainly from non stargate fans.

just because you don't like something, doesn't make it 'not really part of the stargate universe'.
the sg
universe is what the showrunners say it is, and that currently is sgu. sga was garbage and deserved to
be cancelled during second year, not allowed to fester and rot for 5 seasons the way it did.

fyi: i loved sg-1 from beginning to end (yes, even the cam years). finally in sgu i've found a worthy
successor.

i was simply expressing an opinion as to why some people don't like sgu, and i love the way you damn
my opinion and then categorically insist sga was garbage, because of course your opinion is way more
valuable than mine, or not.

[#137115] Written by: DigiFluid [24/06/2010, 03:57]
i dismiss it as garbage in my opinion. but the show-runners decide it's stargate, and so it is.

there's no inconsistency here.
[#137207] Written by: Blackstar [25/06/2010, 16:48]
Quote by digifluid
i dismiss it as garbage in my opinion. but the show-runners decide it's
stargate, and so it is.

there's no inconsistency here.

nonsense, i expressed an opinion as to why some people have reacted negatively to to sgu, and you
deny that i or anyone else has the right to hold such an opinion while denouncing sga. i'm sure the
showrunners on sga would tell you it was a wonderful well crafted show but i bet you'll come up with
an excuse to explain why their opinion should be ignored.
[#137491] Written by: jugdas [30/06/2010, 15:39]
rebooting a franchise is always going to annoy a heck a lot of the original fans. but if it's a
choice between cancellation or a reboot i know which i prefer. and even if you dislike sgu
(for not being sg) it's still pretty much the best sci-fi series currently being produced.
ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]