TV Packs only

Almost Human - Ended (not renewed)

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » TV-News » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#213350] Written by: Magicman2051 [30/04/2014, 16:18]
it had a mediocre start but actually got better as it went on, though the "future of crime" angle almost feels
played out in a tv environment with science fiction like csi around. i'll give it this much though, solid
buddy comedy.
[#213352] Written by: Movie Critic [30/04/2014, 16:26]

Quote by ruff23
weak predictable writing, over the top cheesiness to the point of cringe worthy.
some weak main actors (minka kelly, michael ealy and lili taylor... minka especially with her dead
eyes). better to free some money up and hope for the some better content later (lol).

yeah let me guess you think syfy originals are super awesome next to this and like defiance and
helix
right?

the show's only mistake was being formatted like a procedural when clearly there was more to it.
i think they tried to follow the fringe formula where the first season is a procedural to set the stage
for the actual story in later seasons.

i think fox was just hoping that someone else would pick it up after this cancellation. also i can't
believe the op neglected mentioning terminator:the sarah connor's chronicles that was also made
by fox and also cancelled before its time.

[#213380] Written by: thebishop74 [01/05/2014, 09:13]
Quote by dungeonraider
i reckon production cost was a major factor considering they're renewing shows that performed far
worse but still another lousy decision from fox... they wonder why people are reluctant to watch
their shows when they can be cancelled without reason. whether someone else is interested (eg. syfy)
and whether it's even possible it'll go to another network remains to be seen.

i'd say your on the money there, i remember watching the first few episodes, seeing the special effects, and thinking if this
show ain't a huge hit, it's going to fail due to budget alone, no one wants to fund big budget smaller demographic shows
anymore.
[#213389] Written by: ockraz [01/05/2014, 13:22]
Quote by thebishop74
Quote by dungeonraider
i reckon production cost was a major factor
considering they're renewing shows that performed far
worse but still another lousy decision from fox... they wonder why people are reluctant to watch
their shows when they can be cancelled without reason. whether someone else is interested (eg.
syfy)
and whether it's even possible it'll go to another network remains to be seen.

i'd say your on the money there, i remember watching the first few episodes, seeing the special
effects, and thinking if this
show ain't a huge hit, it's going to fail due to budget alone, no one wants to fund big budget
smaller demographic shows
anymore.

i don't think you're right about this at all. the fx on this show were nice, but nothing like cinema
quality. using cgi to make something that's merely good looking on the small screen isn't going
to bust anyone's budget. it's less expensive than much shoddier looking practical effects.
incidentally, having kevin bacon star in the following is my idea of a ridiculously expensive
practical effect.

i'm disappointed. i'd read a couple months ago that although it was originally on the bubble, it
appeared that they were likely to order another 6 eps for next year.

i thought they were onto something really great with the whole 'almost human' thing- exploring
the relationship between someone emotionally complicated and someone right on the dividing line
between human and not.

so many shows have monsters or robots that are either obviously
subhuman or psychologically complete humans in spite of a characters completely different physical
nature - like there's no middle between a character that's basically a dog and one that's just
written as a person in a "thing" suit.

there've been individual episodes (tng, twilight zone, outer limits) of shows on this and both
great (blade runner) and lousy (ai) movies about it, but i can't think of any series where that was
the focus. after all, by the 3rd ep it was obvious that the crime stuff was really just an excuse to
see damian and kennex try to relate to each other for 40 minutes.

helix gets renewed and this is canceled?
there's no justice.
[#213390] Written by: ockraz [01/05/2014, 13:53]
ps: for whedon worshipers still whining about firefly:

1. no, you're right. this wasn't as good as firefly, but you did get an honest to goodness theatrical
release movie that could've spawned a franchise except for the minor detail that the movie sucked.
you can blame the show's demise on fox execs, but they didn't make the movie a flop.

2. this was easily as good as dollhouse and that got a second season which, except for the finale,
was (like serenity) mostly just a waste of potential.

{opens up a beach umbrella and waits for brickbats to rain down}
[#213400] Written by: yummytoes [01/05/2014, 17:52]
well that sucks! i truly believe there's some suit monkey flipping a coin
to tell whether or not to renew a show. really seems that way.
[#213424] Written by: ockraz [02/05/2014, 07:28]
anyone who's interested - there're two petitions:

petitioning fox broadcasting company
do not cancel almost human
4,822 supporters
https://www.change.org/en-au/petitions/fox-broadcasting-company-do-not-cancel-almost-human

petitioning syfy/amazon/netflix
save almost human
7,490 supporters
https://www.change.org/petitions/save-almost-human

while i figure that 'resistance is futile,' at least it's a way to register my displeasure
[#213446] Written by: scudsy [03/05/2014, 04:11]
it's probably because they need all their money to continue producing shows like "simpsons" if they would
give that show a rest they could save themselves millions in revenue and keep producing shows that we
can all enjoy for more than one season. don't get me wrong - am a long time simpsons fan but it is one
show i could sacrifice to keep another show running, ie - long time gone firefly ( will always be missed )
damn you fox
[#213464] Written by: Mikuji [04/05/2014, 01:57]
so many good shows dead before their time, why do i both watching fox sci-fi shows at all?

what's over the damned wall? i was assuming that the world is actually what's left from some
apocalyptic future war or something, and the wall was the boundary between what was
saved/terraformed, and the slums of the rest of the world... but i guess we'll never know.
[#213510] Written by: ockraz [05/05/2014, 18:25]
Quote by mikuji

what's over the damned wall? i was assuming that the world is actually what's left from some
apocalyptic future war or something, and the wall was the boundary between what was
saved/terraformed, and the slums of the rest of the world... but i guess we'll never know.

i figured it was basically like the mega-city surrounded cursed earth from judge dredd, which would
be interesting given that karl urban played dredd in the movie (the 2012 one, not the 1995 one with rob
schneider that i wish i could forget.
[#213511] Written by: Umbral [05/05/2014, 18:41]
it wasn't a great show, but it was better than the predictable crap-fest that marvel's agents of
shield or arrow have become. since i brought up 'crap-fest', trying to make it through an entire
episode of revolution has turned into a sort of inhuman torture.
[#213513] Written by: THRobinson [05/05/2014, 20:36]
i blame myself on this one... i broke my own rule... if fox has a new series, don't watch it until season 2
starts airing. else you'll watch it, get hooked, and it'll get cancelled... and almost always on a cliffhanger.

... i'm still pissed about john doe...and journeyman... remember drive? man the list goes on and on with
fox.
[#213558] Written by: OmniscientlyMe [07/05/2014, 00:46]
i don't even get why fox bothers with sci-fi series anymore. it hasn't had one with any lasting
power (against the fox execs anyway) in ages.
[#213559] Written by: ockraz [07/05/2014, 03:14]
Quote by throbinson
i'm still pissed about john doe...and journeyman... remember drive? man the list
goes on and on with fox.

to be fair, journeyman was nbc not fox. the sf cancellations i'm most ticked about (other than this
one) are flashforward which ended with a cliffhanger and awake which was forced to conclude in 13
eps and totally made a hash of it.

unless you count twd, foreign tv seems to be doing sf better right now. while i think orphan black
is ridiculously overrated, bbc did a great job with the fades. black mirror, while unsteady, has
had some very good episodes. both utopia and in the flesh are getting second seasons - even though
i'd've been completely satisfied with how they ended the first seasons.

and the canadian show, continuum, has finally found it's groove.
[#214779] Written by: TheThirdEye [15/06/2014, 22:25]
Quote by rodpowermaster
shame on you fox!

c'mon!!!!!! i wanted to see what was on the other side of the wall!

fox showed us what was on the other side of the wall...the cancel memo for this show.

ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]