TV Packs only

Syfy Cancels 'Stargate Universe'

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » TV-News » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#150874] Written by: Movie Critic [18/01/2011, 12:46]
so many mistakes were made with this series but still it was just getting interesting so its sad to see it go.
ironically, unlike caprica this story stayed too close to the mainstream and clearly avoiding doing
something too radical and yet it got cancelled, i kind of wish the creators of caprica would collaborate with
the writers of sgu to produce something new that wont get axed by the end of 2nd season.

and what do syfy leave us with? fun comedy-scifi shows that are only 'meh'(w13 and eureka) , sanctuary
which is only 'meh' and the rest of the shows that frankly do not leave me on the edge of my seat and do
not take me to another universe(sorry but im not a fan of dr.who)

haven is good but not exactly sci-fi, i guess steven king is his own category.

that leaves v as the best sci-fi show on tv but not a syfy original which kind of sucks for a channel that
suppousdly strives to be the go-to place for science fiction shows.

in general i think its also kind of dumb to measure rating by the old ways since more and more sci-fi fans
watch shows online.
[#150884] Written by: JeanLucPicard [18/01/2011, 14:35]
sgu's plot was moving at the pace of a giant turtle ... although i think better motivated writers
could have put the atmosphere of desperation aboard the destiny to some good use.

sad we won't see much more of master sgt. ronald greer ... i kinda like the character for his dry humor.
[#151022] Written by: esign [19/01/2011, 07:04]
Quote by mattdrum
sadly they chose to pollute a potentially great story with robert carlye's
atrociously bad
acting

come on! rush was the only character actually doing something "sciencefictiony", while the rest
picked their navels. carlyle was also one of the very few who actually played well, probably because
he had the only role that fit the purported genre, while the other actors were stuck in a limbo
between sci-fi and a really awful soap.

what destroyed the show for me was colonel young's inevitable screw-ups every time he had to make a
decision. it seemed the only way the writers knew to create some suspense: something happens, young
screws up big time, and everybody wonders if he'll finally get the entire crew killed. i don't have
the greatest respect for the military, but nobody makes it to that rank without having some
perfunctory understanding of basic game theory. his decisions around the lucian alliance incursion
was the most irrational bs ever seen on a sci-fi. until then, i was simply bored, but that
completely ruined my attempts to suspend my disbelief as well.
[#151088] Written by: hailek [19/01/2011, 19:43]
i must confess i am astounded at the cancellation of sgu i have followed the entire franchise and the
story line was just getting interesting after a few non performers, bring back sgu.
[#151505] Written by: esign [23/01/2011, 05:21]
yes, it was surprising, given that it's numbers weren't all that bad.

it's also a strange decision because there is a huge potential for improving the numbers. while the
core fan base for the franchise were offended and repulsed, many of them were checking in from time
to time, looking for improvements. if they had found what they were looking for, the numbers would
have improved dramatically.

i'm not sad about loosing sgu, being one of those disenfranchised former fans. i'm worried about the
implications for the franchise as a whole, though.
[#154325] Written by: fuzyfeet [28/02/2011, 23:53]
the sgs where light-hatred dramas while bsg/caprica where gritty and dark dramas. bsg and caprica
where very much intrigue, and politics, while the sgs centered on action. both franchises had lots
of character building, but in very different settings. sg:u should never have tried to go bsg's
rout. it's like the differences in star wars and star trek. both wildly popular and good in their
own rights, and that's how it should be.
ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]