TV Packs only

‘Fringe’ Hits All Time Low: Cancellation Is Possible

Username:

Password:

Login Register
[ Forum » TV-News » Thread ]

Please login to reply
[#155470] Written by: highlander888 [21/03/2011, 04:21]
low ratings? no one can figure out when the next episode will be run! it's so inconsistent. who can
see it?

[#155472] Written by: dcarpenter85 [21/03/2011, 04:43]
do these dumbasses not know that every man 18-49 is going to be watching march madness basketball
instead of fringe? ratings will go back up next week.
[#155493] Written by: pyro006 [21/03/2011, 11:24]
it seems people are missing the whole point of ratings. ratings are used to determine the price
advertisers are willing to pay for ad spots. this, not the actual rating, is what makes a network
decide to cancel or renew the show. aside from the fact that these viewer numbers are not real, and
the relationship of the numbers to actual viewers is sketchy at best, and from the fact that no one
particularly wants some media organization tracking stuff they're downloading, scene releases of tv
shows have no commercials. why the hell would advertisers care about how many people download a
commercial-less show? it won't affect the price they'll pay for advertising at all. a similar
argument is made for dvred viewing, which afaik advertisers also refuse to count.

and btw if you aren't participating in the nielsen program, don't bother tuning in as suggested in
the article as it will do nothing.

ignoring ad based viewings such as hulu or networks' own websites is a huge flaw in the plan, as the
ads are just as effective at reaching the audience, if not more so because of the reduced length of
the ad, which provides less incentive to do something else while the ad(s) run.
[#155502] Written by: Movie Critic [21/03/2011, 15:17]
although i did enjoy olivia dunham's acting as william bell(leonard nimoi) i tend to agree that the
ideas presented in the last 3 episodes were progressively too wacky for science fiction if they can even
be called science fiction....

what happened?

emotional quantum entanglement?
soul magnets?

the breaking down/change of the laws of physics due to a dimensional rift part was interesting, maybe
even believable but they had to add in soul magnets and emotional quantum entanglement? that was
going way too far there without even an explanation of how and why these things should work...

so yeah wtf?

its as if someone on the writing team is testing to see where the limit is.

i also notice an interesting patten here:
sgu cancelled = "finding the pattern behind the static in the universe"(aka the possibility ofgod or
deity)
v cancelled = "try to understand/control/destroy the human soul as means for world domination"
and now fringe = "soul magnets"

in all 3 shows the science fiction is blown away in a bad way by some religious motif .... wtf?? why is
that?
are these shows funded by some scientology church?

anyway i hope they won't be foolish enough to cancel fringe and that fringe writers will go easy on the
drugs because damn....

[#155509] Written by: engsmart [21/03/2011, 16:27]
if i'm not mistaken 1/3 of all tvs in america that uses dish, directv, warner, uverse uses dvr
how can be that they expect a sci-fi fan to watch live tv
it's a waste of time with all the ads that increase the time of watch the show for about 20
minutes more.
nelsen tv and arbitron are all wrong with the fashion that they use ratings.
my satellite receiver have dvr and it's connected to the internet
it's about time that with almost everyone connected to the internet - to the numbers come directly
from the receivers and not from companies like nelson tv that put many wires in your tv so just a
few accept. also arbitron forces you to use a stupid box that senses movement all day long....
also not many people accepts that.
the people in need to a couple $5 bill per month are so busy working and trying to live and pay
bills that i'm sure that they can't handle much tv shows besides american idol.
tvs needs to find another way to make money besides forces you to watch ads, i don't want my 4
years old seeing all the ads that cartoon network pay tv have it. soon i'll cancel all my pay tv
and watch just shows recorded and with ads free cause i don't want to spend an extra minute in
my life to see the stupids ads
[#155510] Written by: JeanLucPicard [21/03/2011, 16:56]
Quote by movie critic

in all 3 shows the science fiction is blown away in a bad way by some religious motif .... wtf?? why is
that?

you seem to have forgotten caprica ... that makes 4 cancelled shows with a rather religious tone.

i rather think that show creators try to capitalize on the bsg success ... sci-fi with a heavy
religious underline like bsg - mostly a change of society from worshipping multiple gods to
worshipping a single god, resulting in war.

nevertheless, any show i know had some bad episodes or even bad story arcs ... but that is no reason
for cancellation since execs can influence the writing at any time if ratings go south.
[#155511] Written by: CypherUK [21/03/2011, 17:04]
why can't the tv stations look at their tv shows as entertainment shows rather than simply a product they
can ship out there for profit? yes the profit is good, obviously, but so many great shows get cancelled
because the massive online fanbase (many of whom can't "tune in to watch" as they live in another part of
the world) are ignored and dismissed.

sci-fi in the us is great, but the studios appear to have very little (if any) passion for the shows they put
out. i know torrent downloads will never be included in tv ratings, but i really wish they were, maybe then
a lot of our favourite shows could live on rather than being cancelled because people decided to go to bed
really early one week.
[#155518] Written by: davee [21/03/2011, 19:33]
i'm really enjoying fringe at the moment and the last couple episodes were more of the great stuff
i've come to expect. the first season i thought was a bit poor but the second and this third have
been really captivating and personally i think i would be a shame to see it cancelled. i guess we
can only hope dvd sales will be good.
[#155520] Written by: Impervious1 [21/03/2011, 20:18]
they should get rid of reality shows, they're for dumbasses, not good shows like fringe, we live in
a world of dumbasses.
[#155530] Written by: MrMacMan [21/03/2011, 23:02]
Quote by jjsteelman
i really like the show and most of the actors on it. not a huge fan of olivia
dunham..she seems blah. astrid
kind of is lame too..enjoy the rest of the cast. really hope it makes it through. also i completly agree
with
the others.
friday night= shows death,
sporadic showing and breaks= shows death.
suits who think theyre clever= shows death

they dont know what to do with the astrid character. she's just wallpaper in the show. nothing
offensive, very little to show emotionally... flesh her out, its only been 3 seasons geez.

adding backstory to olivia in the middle of the 3rd season is just, seems unnecessary.

Quote by wizenwolf
agreed. i stopped viewing when this shit went "lost" and became
overcomplicated nonsense.

overcomplicated? i've actually not heard that about fringe. seems fairly straightforward. 2
universes slowing being ripped apart. supernatural shit each episode.

done.

having this disjointed schedule isnt helping me. and i go on eztv every day to checkout which of my
series is coming out.

people with tvs are supposed to tune in every week and see if their series is on?
right.
[#155542] Written by: abdul14 [22/03/2011, 00:56]
these people do not care about the torrent downloads guys !!!!!
[#155584] Written by: smakdy [22/03/2011, 09:56]
i stopped watching for a reason... its suck is can be graphed on a curve going up with time

perhaps fox will find some better concept for a sci-fi show than an x-files rehash now
[#155606] Written by: sam_smooth [22/03/2011, 16:01]
this show should be canceled. and, i say that after praising the first season. i think they have
strayed off course from what people were into with the first set of episodes.
[#155607] Written by: esign [22/03/2011, 16:38]
i like the show, and hope it won't be canceled. unfortunately, there's no help in me tuning in; not
only am i not in the nielsen program, i'm not even in the us. as a result, i even have to work
around blocks to access legal web viewing, for shows where that's available...

it's about time that the networks catch up with technology. how about this: they release their own
torrents, from a site much like eztv. you have to sit through a commercial or two, before the
torrent downloads. slap in a few short commercials in the video file itself; if they're short
enough, many won't bother skipping over them. have some product placement; i don't like it, but i
like it better than having the show canceled, and done with care, it's not all that bad. then they
can count the torrent downloads, and do some research on the efficiency of these ads/placements. i
think they'll be pleasantly surprised.

sci.fi. shows would do a lot better, that way. if not, i'll go out and buy a hat, just so i can eat it.
[#155667] Written by: DoomLight [23/03/2011, 08:14]
if it is not to return for another season. i hope they can at least wrap up this current story arc. i'd hate
to be left with a cliff hanger the way sarah chronicles left us at the end.
ssl  EZTV RSS EZTV Status | EZTV API | DMCA: [email protected]